POLICIES FOR STUDENTS RIDING SCHOOL BUSES IN THE
WATSON CHAPEL SCHOOL DISTRICT
1. Be at the bus stop at the scheduled time. Stand back about 10 feet from the bus stop and wait until the door is opened before moving closer to the bus. Do not play on the highway or road. If you miss the bus, do not attempt to hitchhike a ride or walk to or from school.
2. While loading and unloading, enter or leave the bus orderly and quickly.
3. While riding the bus, students are under the supervision of the driver and must obey the driver at all times.
4. Students are expected to conduct themselves in a manner such that they will not distract the attention of their driver or disturb other riders on the bus (which includes keeping your hands to yourself; attend to your own matters; let other pupils alone, and be reasonable quiet).
5. No knives or sharp objects of any kind are allowed - neither firearms, pets, nor other living animals, etc.
6. Each student must be seated before the bus is put in motion. Students must remain seated until the bus stops at the bus stop.
7. You are not to tamper with any of the safety devices such as door latches, fire extinguishers, etc. Students must keep seated while the bus is in motion and must not get up or change seats while it is stopped except as the driver directs.
Students must stay in assigned seat. Pupils are not to put their hands, arms,
heads, or bodies out of the window. Do not yell at anyone outside the bus.
8. Students are not to deface the bus or any school property. Do not write on the bus or damage seats, etc. NO SMOKING while riding a school bus.
9. Do not throw paper, food, or other objects on the floor of the bus. Do not eat on the bus.
10. Do not ask the driver to let you off the bus at the store, to get the mail out of the mailbox, or any place except your regular stop.
11. If you must cross the road or highway to enter the bus, try always to be on the right side of the road waiting on the bus. If you should arrive at the stop just as the bus approaches the stop, wait until the bus has come to a complete stop and the driver has signaled for you to cross in front of the bus. (unless the driver directs you differently).
12. Pupils, who must cross the road after leaving the bus in the afternoon, must go to a point on the shoulder of the road 10 feet in front of the bus. NEVER CROSS BEHIND THE BUS. Cross the road only after the driver has signaled you to do so.
13. Students cannot ride any bus except their own. Visitors are not allowed except in case of an emergency. Permission must be secured in writing from the Director of Transportation or the Principal.
14. The following will automatically cost you your riding privileges.
d. Possession of knives or firearms
e. Drinking of alcoholic beverages
f. Use or possession of drugs
g. Failure to remain in assigned seat
(student grades 4-12 will be warned
once before privilege is revoked)
IT SHOULD BE REGARDED AS A PRIVILEGE TO RIDE TO SCHOOL ON A BUS